Good morning! ok maybe just morning (yup that’s the sunrise). It’s the end of the first week of 2012 and I’m tired. I’ve been so good this week. I’ve worked out every day and played tennis twice! Here’s hoping I keep it up. As for the no-sugar resolution, it’s more of a less sugar resolution because as I write this I’m eating this morning’s treat. Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake. Gotta say, I’m enjoying my peace and quiet this morning. Plus it goes amazing with my cup of tea.
It’s weird though. It’s so quiet! The kids are still asleep and Rob’s off to Orlando to run his marathon this weekend. So I’ve got the morning to myself, at least for now! So here I write about this delicious pound cake.
I found this recipe in the Southern Living Best Recipes 2011 issues and it probably won’t be my last. I love pound cake so I had to give it a try. I added lemon to the recipe because lemon is always a big hit in our house.
Recipe: (adapted from Southern Living Best Recipes 2011 pg 81)
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Add flour to butter mixture alternatively with the buttermilk. Starting and ending with flour and mix until just combined.
- Pour into a prepared cake pan. I used a bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes and then remove from pan. I forgot and left it overnight and it took a bit more to get it out of the pan.
- You could serve with a lemon curd and dust with powder sugar.
This is a fantastic breakfast treat and would be great for brunch (or really any time you want :)) So please enjoy this recipe as I know it will be made many more times in our house.
And look, there goes my quiet…good morning Abby!
Thanks for looking!
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Tea Party Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Let's Do Brunch