Some days it’s a challenge to think up something for treat day and some days, not so much. Today was that day. I just wanted to bake. I had the itch to bake and I had the itch to make these, Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes. I always find cupcakes so heavy but these are oh so light. Using pumpkin puree removes the fat, which we all love and then adding the pumpkin spice adds a little something something!
They are so moist too which means no need for frosting. I mean you can, totally, but it’s not needed.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice blend
- 1 cup boiling water
- Prepare muffin tins, I used both small and normal size. pre-heat oven to 350*F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, pumpkin and spices. Beat for one minute.
- Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don't worry, this is right).
- Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely then decorate!
I had all these fun Halloweeny sprinkles and just decided to dip the tops of the cupcakes into them. They look so fun and festive!
I also used my heart shaped donut pan and used these for the girls treat day! I took some marshmallow ghosts and added some eyes, they loved them!
It’s also a fairly big batch. It made 12 regular cupcakes, 24 mini cupcakes, 6 heart shaped donuts and 1 mini heart cake. All the extra’s went into Rob’s work because they are so not on the diet! Yes, low fat but sadly sugar also heads right for my hips :)
So if you are looking for a low fat, yummy goodness cupcakes, these be the ones!
Thanks for looking!