Well my first new recipe for 2013 was a success. It’s what happens when you get up too early because you have to pee and can’t go back to bed because if you do the pain will be excruciating. The joys of a herniated disc. So this past Sunday morning I was up bright and early and decided to try something new.
Now the girls don’t like French toast in the traditional soak bread in egg and fry in pan way. But they do like eggs and toast and all things sugary, so I thought I’d try the baked method of French Toast.
I had also seen on Pinterest several versions that added a crumble to the top, so I did that as well. And what can I say but delish. Now you shouldn’t eat the entire dish without consequence but then I won’t judge if you do :)
Recipe: for a 6x6” square pan, serves 4, Cal: 335 per serving
- 3 pieces of your choice of bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350 and Pam the baking dish, very important
- Tear up bread into small pieces and line the pan.
- In separate bowl, mix together eggs, whites, cream, vanilla and white sugar.
- Pour over bread and let stand 15 minutes
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Make sure it’s clumpy and spread over bread and egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. The topping should be fairly crispy to the touch.
- Let stand 5 minutes then divide by four and serve.
- A little real Canadian maple syrup on top just pushes it over the edge!
So what happens if you don’t Pam the dish before you bake…this!
It soaked all day and through the dish washer and I still have to scrub some of it off. UGH! So Pam or oil spray please, you’ll thank me.
Now I wouldn’t serve this every morning but as a weekend treat for brunch is delightful. For the four of us in this house, the toast got 3 thumbs up and one no comment as she refused to try it. She’s very very picky. Still 3 out of 4 is pretty good, so we’ll have this again for sure!
Thanks for looking and I hope you come back again!