So I may have overdone it on the purchase of assorted berries this week…watcha think?
I mean they mostly get eaten when I buy one or two varieties, but this might have been a little overboard. The girls do love their berries but even they can’t eat this many.
What’s a girl to do? ooh ooh, I know I know…bake pie and not just any pie, bumble berry pie. At least that’s what my grandmother always called it.
So here goes…the recipe
- Add any and all berries you like. Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries.
- Add sugar about 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup lemon juice. The berries will get sour when baked, so add more sugar then you would think.
- Add 1 tbsp flour (helps thicken the juices) I forgot :(
- Let stand 30 minutes.
Pie crust: (makes enough for top and bottom crust)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter cut up into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
- In food processor, flour, sugar, salt and butter.
- Pulse until it looks like dry oatmeal.
- Add cold water and pulse until it comes together.
- Take out on floured surface and knead until it isn’t sticky. Don’t knead too much or it will make the crust chewy.
- Roll out and form into pie plate.
- Pour berries into uncooked pie shell .
- Cover berries with top crust dough; full or lattice cover.
- Baste with egg yolk and dust with sugar, makes it nice and golden looking.
- Bake at 350 until crust is golden brown. Cool Completely.
Teaching Point! This is what happens when you forget the flour. It’s really really runny.
Although still lovely, much easier to make a mess :)
Now off to the pool :)
Thanks for looking!
Chic & Crafty
Sweet Tooth Friday
I'm Loving It Fridays
Little Brick Ranch
Party Mindie Style
Recipes to Run on
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Creative Bloggers Party & Hop
Get Your Craft On
Tea Party Tuesday
Tuesday To Do Party