I gotta say today’s treat came to me while I was preparing what I had originally intended to make for treat day. I was a little late getting on task today. So really it’s my fault and so now we have this! It just popped into my head. (no pun intended)
Every time we walk past Kernals in the mall, Abby always asks for the pink/purple girly popcorn. It’s such a rip-off to charge six dollars for a bag of popcorn that costs about twenty-five cents, so I never do.
I know! Let’s make our own and make it any colour we want. And since everyone is doing fall and Halloweeny themed stuff, I made yellow, brown, orange colours and left some plain. I used Orville Redenbacher’s Kettle Corn as it was in the house and it’s already a bit sweet, but you can use any unflavoured corn you have.
Here’s what you’ll need! I halved the original recipe I found because it was really really sweet.
- 2 bags of plain popcorn
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/6 cup water (I just put half 1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- gel colours
- Pop popcorn as per directions, divide into equal sizes depending on the number of colours into large Ziploc bags.
- In saucepan place sugar, water, and butter and bring to boil. Divide into bowls per number of colours
- Colour each portion of sugar water.
- Add the coloured sugar water into the bags of popcorn and toss to fully cover.
- Put out on wax paper and separate so they are not too clumpy and let dry for 30 minutes.
- Toss all colours together.
My girls love popcorn and this can be used for any coloured corn you’d like. You could also add marshmallows, nuts, etc to the mix and have fun with it!
Thanks for looking!
Sweet Treat Thursday
Strut Your Stuff
Catch a Glimpse
It's A Keeper Thursday
Chic & Crafty
I'm Loving It Fridays
Sweet Tooth Friday
Gallery of Favourites