Rowan has decided that her new favourite store is Whole Foods. I know, weird right? Well she loves their classic chicken salad, like she would eat it every day. She also likes to try all the different cheeses and whatever else they have as tasters. Once we’ve tried everything, we are now allowed to check out and that means she can do to the kids corner. In our local store they have a wagon full of kid friendly snacks, Whole Foods style. Organic Raisins, fruit rollups, apples and oranges and Rowan loves it! I love Whole Foods too but for their prices, it ain’t cheap that is for sure but the food is tasty, especially their food bars!
So in one of my recent visits to Whole Foods as I was in the fruits and veggie section, they had a special display for their Mascarpone Cheese. I love Mascarpone cheese, it tastes so completely different than traditional cream cheese. It’s lighter with a richer flavour, in my opinion. So I grabbed a container, some strawberries and some mini angel food cakes and voila, dessert is served!
I made balsamic strawberries last summer and just loved them. So I thought why not add some whipped mascarpone cheese and pour it over mini angel food cakes. I also love mini desserts!
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chilled mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package strawberries, hulled, halved
- mini angel food cakes
- In small saucepan, heat vinegar, 2 tsp sugar and lemon juice. Bring to boil to dissolve sugar and let simmer until reduced to about 1/4 cup. It was also get thicker. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- In small bowl, combine cheese, cream, 2 tbsp sugar and vanilla. With hand blender, whish until mixture forms soft peaks. Chill in fridge covered up to 4 hours.
- Hull and half strawberries, pour vinegar mixture over strawberries. Coat strawberries and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Plate cake and cover with strawberries and cheese.
This is a nice fresh dessert for the spring and summer.
I do hope Rowan’s recent upscale tastes in food doesn’t transfer to other aspects of life. She’s expensive enough without the highbrow tastes!
Thanks for looking!
Mrs Fox's Sweets
These Chicks Cook
Full Plate Thursday
Sweet Treat Thursday
I'm Loving It Fridays
Chic & Crafty
Gallery of Favourites