So another thing I’ve noticed that is different in the States than Canada is oatmeal. I mean it tastes funny, at least to me. I’ve also noticed that getting good granola is hard to find too. I love granola but never thought to make it until this week while I was watching The Barefoot Contessa. Yup, Ina, my guru. She was doing a brunch show and she made granola. I thought, well why the hell not.
It’s so easy and so tasty but so not low cal. I’m going to have to figure out a way to make this less high calorie but for now, I give you roasted almond granola.
Recipe: As adapted by The Barefoot Contessa
- 2 cups dry oats
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop almonds to at least 1/4 almond size.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Put on baking sheet and spread out.
- Bake for 10 minutes until it starts to brown. Toss and return to oven.
- Repeat until it’s all toasted brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Store in air tight container. Should be good for a week or two, depends on how much you eat.
I mixed mine with yogurt and topped with some pomegranate that we bought today at the store. It was delish. I may never buy store bought again.
You could add dried fruit, different fruits etc. Make it your own and enjoy it!
Thanks for looking!