Well it’s become tradition here at Trilogy Edibles to feature amazing cookiers on this July 9th, National Sugar Cookie Day! Since it’s been a rough year for me, I asked the last two years of profiled bakers who they thought I should “interview”. I also added a few of my favs!
I apologize for the length of this post. I thought about breaking it up into several posts but then thought the stress of who went where was too much. So have a seat, grab a drink and enjoy. It’s always a blast learning a little bit more about my favourite people! Here we go!
Meet Gail, super sweet and super funny. Her adventures through New York always make me smile and her view on how we cookiers should be treated is fabulous! She makes wonderful cookies but I think I love her cakes the most! She has written some awesome pieces on pricing etc. I haven’t met Gail either but fingers crossed in September when I’m there I’ll get my chance. Say Hi To Gail!
1. When did you start baking? I always wanted to bake as a kid, but my mother didn't let me. I remember baking cookies in a toaster oven in my college dorm. I'd have to bolt the door to keep everyone away until they were finished. As soon as I had my own apartment, I began baking from "The Joy of Cooking".
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I'm late to the blogging world....probably about 3 or 4 years ago. But, since I'm such a lousy blogger, I've never celebrated a 'blogaversary'.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? My business name is One Tough Cookie. Since it's more like a second career for me, it was a natural double entendre to choose. I've never regretted it.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? I'd probably have to say an affogato. Really top quality ice cream with a shot of espresso poured over it. That's delightful.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? Only 1 favorite? Oh my, I couldn't choose. So many blogs, so many incredible cookie artists out there, sometimes I feel like an under-achiever.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? I certainly have!
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? I'd love to meet Marian from Sweetopia. I'd love to hear her voice. And, of course, Callye from Sweet Sugarbelle.
Meet Tracy, I honestly can’t remember if I met Tracy at CookieCon and if I did, I apologize for my forgetfulness. I plead all the drugs for my back :) But I can’t deny that I watch her FB page like a hawk. Her cookies are so adorable and I love the fact that she came upon cookies the same way I did. She wanted a good tasting, great looking cookie for her kids. Say hi to Tracy!
1. When did you start baking? The first baking that I did on my own was to make Snickerdoodle cookies for a boy in high school that I liked. Later, when I got married and had a child, I picked up a decorated cookie for him as a treat, but it was lacking in taste, so I started on a mission to learn how to make great tasting decorated cookies for him. I did them here and there and then started doing monthly decorated themed cookies in the Fall of 2008.
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I started shortly after Cookie Con last year in November of 2012.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I wanted a name that tied into the fact that we have moved so much over the years due to my husband’s career. At last count, I have moved my whisk twelve times. It seems that I get settled in and before we know it, we are off to another location. I had another version of my cookie name, but was not set on it, so I ran it by some of my cookie friends at Cookie Con. It was Liz (Arty McGoo) who came up with the perfect version.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? A homemade Lemon Tart! I absolutely love lemon!
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? That is like someone asking me my favorite child! lol For the times that I can grab a moment to browse, I like to see what Lisa at The Bearfoot Baker is up to. She is so creative, I love her use of dimension and she is a dear person as well. I also will pop over to see what Georganne at LilaLoa has come up with. I love how she looks at the science of cookies as well as her excellent design sense. Of course, any blog check would not be complete without seeing what Callye at SweetSugarBelle is up to. She has an engineering sense that I great admire as well as an absolutely wonderful talent for design. For Facebook pages, I have to check in on Jill FCS as her work never fails to make me smile and Vicki of Sweet Tweets as I am always amazed by her creativity and variety of incredible designs.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? Yes. I was a part of a group on Flickr years ago, but had not heard anything about it beyond that.
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? I have been fortunate to have become friends with and to be able to meet as well as get together with many of my favorite cookiers over the years. I count them among some of my dearest friends. The cookier that I have not met yet and greatly look forward to doing so is Vicki of Sweet Tweets. She and I have become great friends with much in common besides our love of cookieing and I am very much looking forward to being able to laugh and share stories in person. Oh, and I want to meet Georganne of LilaLoa. That girl makes me laugh!
I met Nicole at last year’s CookieCon in St. Lake City. Super fun and has amazing detail in her cookies. Every time she posts her cookies I’m in awe. What’s even more impressive is that she did over 3000 cookies for one order and did it while she was moving. Can we say crazy??? Yes, yes we can. I give you Nicole!
1. When did you start baking? I made my first real sugar cookies for the Twilight: New Moon movie premiere with a bunch of girlfriends. November 2009? I didn't have a cookie cutter, and I couldn't find a moon shape, so I bought my first cutter - a circle - and used it to create a moon shape instead. I used a thrown-together glaze of powdered sugar & milk & regular food coloring (it was pretty sad), and I melted chocolate to pipe the border to hold it all in. They weren't pretty, but they were yummy, and I was hooked!
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I started my blog & my FB page in November 2010. At the time, I had been doing some food photography & recipe sharing for almost a year on my personal online journal, and I transported those food-related posts to my new blog as well (so there are some posts that pre-date November 2010).
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I opened up the floor to some close online friends to come up with the perfect name for my new cookie business. My sweet friend Joan came up with "Life's a Batch," and I immediately fell in love. I had to keep it a secret from August 2010 until November when I launched my sites - that was tough!
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? Oh man, how can I pick just one?! I love spice cake with cream cheese frosting, and I adore vanilla/peanut butter ice cream. But I really am a fan of almost ANY dessert... as long as there's no maple flavor of any kind!
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? I've been in love with Tracey's Culinary Adventures for about two years now. I love her style of photography, her wide & varied choice of dishes & desserts, and the fact that she posts OFTEN. Really, she is a phenomenal blogger, and you can find her here: http://www.traceysculinaryadventures.com/
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? I had! I first heard mention of it last year, as a round-up of cookiers posted over the blogosphere about it. I'm honored to have been asked to participate this year!
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? Oh, I can't choose! I've been blessed to be able to meet SO MANY sweet cookier friends (even had a few stay overnight for a few days at my house!). But two gals top my list: Paula, of Vanilla Bean Baker (http://www.vanillabeanbaker.com/), and Janet, of The Army Mom (http://www.thearmymom.com/). I've emailed back & forth with each, and exchanged a bit of snail mail & phone calls, too... but I'd love to have a sit-down dinner & share the presence with these two absolute sweethearts!
Now I haven’t met Ang but started following her on Instagram. Her cookies are just amazing and I love all of her colour combinations with each cookie set. I’d like to say we’ve become friends online and I always look forward to her next posting. Maybe next CookieCon we’ll get to meet. Fingers crossed. I give you Ang!
1. When did you start baking? I have been baking since I was a little girl! My Mom and Aunt's taught me at a very young age most of what I know today. :)
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I think it was about 3 years ago
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I actually didn't come up with it. I struggled for so long on what to call my page and one of my good friends came up with Icings by Ang.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? This is a hard one but probably Banana Pudding
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? So hard to choose but I will probably say Sweet Tweet's Facebook page. She amazes me with her creativity!
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? Yes
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? So many people..I haven't been lucky enough to meet any of my online cookie friends. But if I could meet anyone it would probably have to be Callye!
Ok, Heather was nominated by a few of our past participants but she’s also here because she has become one of my favourite people on FB. Not just because her cookies rock, but because our kids are around the same age, we both have culinary backgrounds and we both have wack-a-doodle senses of humour. I had the fortune of meeting Heather at CookieCon as well and I just love her . Meet Heather!
1. When did you start baking? I can't actually remember a time when I didn't bake. My grandma was a fabulous baker and treat maker and if I was at Grandmas, we were mixing up something sweet. Everything from molded candies to her incredible lemon bars I learned at a very early age. In 2003, after nearly 10 yrs. of working in banking & finance, I decided to make the leap and go to culinary school. Funny thing is, even though I have a a baking & pastry certification, I didn't decorate my first cookie until years later.
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I don't have a blog, but I started my page in March 2012 after overwhelming everyone on my personal page with baked goods.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I adore food. Cooking it, talking about it, reading about it and most of all eating it. My favorite thing to do is "nosh" on lots of different things and sugary treats are no exception.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? Gah...that's like asking which of my kids is my favorite. I'll have to say brownies. A mix of cakey & fudgy and absolutely without frosting. A good brownie doesn't need it.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? I can't pick a favorite, but I love bloggers that make me laugh and LilaLoa & SweetHope Cookies never disappoint. I also love the blogs that show and tell like Sugarbelle's & Semi Sweet and then the ones that are just full of drool worthy cookies like Oh Sugar Events & Arty McGoo.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? I don't believe I ever heard of it before I saw your mention of it on FB, but then again since there are days for celebrating everything from Chihauhaus to Cleaning out your purse, I'm not the least bit surprised.
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? Thats tough seeing as I was fortunate to meet several of my cookie idols last year at CookieCon. I think if I could extend the meeting to include spying on them in their workspace I could give you a list a mile long.....Liz/Arty McGoo, Angela/Oh Sugar, Jill/Jill FCS, Vicki/Sweet Tweets and a new favorite designer would be Mallory from Butterwinks.
Now I haven’t met Elizabeth from SweetArt Sweets either but when several nominations came in I wasn’t surprised, her cookies are amazing. So I’m just as happy as you to get to know a little bit more about her! Also fingers crossed we’ll get to meet one day. Say Hi to Elizabeth.
1. When did you start baking? I've been baking for as long as I can remember, even helping my mom in the kitchen when I was little!
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I started my FB page and business in October 2010.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I chose SweetArt Sweets because I wanted to represent sugary goodness with an artistic flair :) I really want each cookie that I do to be a piece of artwork.. that you can eat of course!
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? I absolutely adore cheesecake.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? I love following The Pioneer Woman! I love to cook probably as much as I love to bake, so I'm always looking for new recipe ideas to make for my family.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? yes!
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? I would love to meet Marian of Sweetopia! Hers was the very first blog I ever read about cookies. I was completely blown away by her techniques. Her butterfly tutorial was the first I ever saw, and that was the first kind of decorated cookie I ever tried to make. Her work was my inspiration from the very beginning.
Now what can I say about Nicole, or as we just call her, Salsa. This woman has the biggest personality I’ve ever met, so we obviously got along great. We met at CookieCon last year and I have so enjoyed being able to call her my friend. Her cookie style is awesome. I don’t even have to see her name on the cookies anymore , I just know when I see a picture if it’s Salsa or not. She’s also the stencil queen, ask her about it sometime! Meet Nicole!
1. When did you start baking? I was always known in my family as the baker. Cookies didn't really click until about 18 ish months ago when I did them for a friend. Of course, word spreads quickly and Salsa Sweets was born!
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? My Salsa Sweets page has only been up for a little over 1 year. I had just gotten back from Spring Fling and after tons of cookie peer pressure, I got the page up and running. Cookie people are very, very convincing.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? Ha! I have been married for almost 6 years but together with my husband for eons before that. When we got engaged, my Dad made a joke about my married name and who was I marrying. My married name is sort of close to Salsaburger and the joke began that we are the Salsas. Ever since then, we have always been called that and so Salsa Sweets seemed perfect.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? Cupcakes! Every year for my birthday, my husband picks out a selection of cupcakes for me of all different flavors. It is so fun to see what he chooses and to taste a sampling. On every family vacation, we scour for cookie cutter shops and cupcakeries!
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? Cookie-related: Too.Many.Choices! Here are a few of my favorites that may not be so familiar to everyone: Icings by Ang, NatSweets, Sweetface Cookie Boutique, Lynlee's Petite Cakes, Baked Perfection Cookies, Sugarbliss Cookies, and Sugared Hearts Bakery. Non-cookie related: Young House Love, Bower Power, Postsecret
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? Yes! The only reason being is because I have been following along Karen's yearly profiled bakers and so I was beyond stoked when she asked me to do it.
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? Would you believe that I have been so lucky enough to have met a TON of awesome cookie people? I mean, a TON! Let me just say, they are even better in person! I have become such good friends with them that I cannot imagine my daily life without them now. It's one thing to chat via facebook, but totally another when you spend your days emailing and texting and even talking on the phone with them. I haven't met my sister from another mister, Miss Vicki from Sweet Tweets and we are dying to hang out. I am also planning to meet Elizabeth from Sweetart Sweets over the holidays and I cannot wait!
Ok, so if you haven’t heard of Anita, you live under a rock in the cookie world. I got to meet her briefly at CookieCon (which I’m sure she doesn’t remember b/c so many of us wanted to meet her) but I remember her. She came out wearing this blinged out apron and handing out her awesome cookies (also didn’t get one, so sad ) but that’s how I see her now. Larger than life and always willing to share. Next CookieCon my goal is to really get to meet her! Say Hi to Anita.
1. When did you start baking? When I was seven years old I was given an Easy Bake Oven at Christmas and I've been baking ever since though it wasn't until the fall of 2010 when I stumbled across the blog Bakeat350 that I ventured into the world of decorated sugar cookies.
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I opened my cookie blog, www.sweethopecookies.com in the summer of 2011 and created my Facebook page sometime that same year.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I choose the name Sweet Hope Cookies to convey my hope that one day there will be a cure for ALS and to doing my part to seeing that hope fulfilled I'm selling cookies to raise money to support medical research, provide assistance for those living with ALS and to do my part to spread ALS awareness. Sweet Hope Cookies was founded to be a living tribute to my brother Randy who died from ALS in 2011.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? Anything that has even trace amounts of chocolate, marshmallow or caramel in it. And ice cream, whatever the flavor can easily win my heart.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? Choose just one? Seriously? Well, at THIS moment I'm spending more than an average amount of time following the cookies of Jill FCS, Sweet Tweets, Cookies with Character, and Arty McGoo. Their talent and attention to detail in their cookies leaves me gobsmacked. And yes, that's four which is just three more than one so close enough.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? Yep although I've yet to learn the official anthem of this glorious day. Could someone teach me?
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? I feel incredibly grateful that over the past couple years I've met a number of cookiers I admire who I now call my friends but the one I'm still eager to meet is Georganne from LilaLoa. Not only do I admire her talent and use her cookie recipes exclusively but she's just about the sweetest and funniest cookie blogger out there. I'm just two shades away from being a LilaLoa stalker.
What can I say about my friend Liz????? She rocks! My favourite memory of Liz is when we arrived at the airport in St. Lake City for CookieCon and we were waiting for the shuttle to the hotel. I came out the door and she was standing there surrounded by several people who were just staring at her and whispering. I am not shy so I walked right up to her. She hugged me. My first thought was like a teeny bopper who had just met her musical crush. “I had arrived” LOL. This woman is so talented and so awesome!!!! Meet Liz or Ms McGoo!
1. When did you start baking? I started baking "for reals" when I got married 15 years ago. I felt like a kid with a full size easy bake oven and I realized I LOVE cooking and baking. I specifically started baking cookies 2 years ago.
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I started blogging Feb 2010, but I was not a cookier. My blog was for keeping track of all my creative projects. I created my FB page October 2010 when I discovered the wonderful world of cookieying.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I chose Arty McGoo because while I created my blog as a journal to keep track of my artistic efforts, I also wanted to show that I don't take myself too seriously. Art is messy and fun, it is subjective and the canvas can be anything... even a cookie. It never crossed my mind that I would be called Arty (or Ms. McGoo if you're nasty!); that came as a very fun surprise and I answer to it as much as I do Liz.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? I. Love. Pie. It doesn't even matter what kind, there is something about the flakey, buttery crust that is almost savory and then to marry it with the perfect filling of fruit that is sweet, but usually has a little tang to it? Heaven.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? Wow! That is a hard one. There are so many cookier pages that blow my mind it's hard to choose a favorite. Right now, off the top of my head I have to say every time Cookievonster posts I am blown away. Her designs are so unique. JillFCS, SemiSweet, Oh, Sugar!, Memories From Home is a new one that leaves me speechless... I could go on and on.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? I remember seeing it last year and reading your post featuring several amazing cookiers. It was awesome and so fun to read. I am honored to be a part of it this year, thank you! and happy National Sugar Cookie Day to you!
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? Oh goodness! Another hard one! I have been lucky enough to meet lots of cookiers in person and it is always a blast! I honestly want to meet every cookier I possibly can! I have so much love for the cookie community and I can't wait until CookieCon next year. It will be like a big family reunion... but without the spam and carrot jello salad.
What can I say about Christine? Too adorable for words. We met at CookieCon and I can now call her friend. I didn’t know Sugar Cravings at the time, what rock was I under right??? and now every time I see her cookies she amazes me. But even better was when these cookies showed up at my doorstep for my birthday. It was a week before my first surgery, I was in lots of pain and these beauties arrived. Who ever says cookies can’t make you feel better, has never received a package of amazingly decorated works of art in the mail. Say hello to Christine.
1. When did you start baking? I've baked since I was a kid. My Mom has always been a "dessert first" type of person and I can still remember waking up to the smell of brownies being baked in the morning.
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? About a year and a half ago I started my Facebook page. I was very resistant for a long time but found it was the best way to keep up with my other cookie artist friends. I'm glad I did it...I've met SO many wonderful people and many that I consider great friends.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? Because it summarizes me....Sugar Cravings. I'm the type of person that believes you should eat everything in moderation but sugar and treats are one thing I won't give up. I eat dessert every single day!
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? Hands down it's German Chocolate cake. Or German Chocolate anything!
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? I think my favorite blog is Semi Sweet's. Mike is such a cool guy and I love how detailed his posts are. And he's approachable and will always answer any questions you have for him. Sugarbelle's is a close second!
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? I had not! I'm so glad you told me about it!!!
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? It would be Jill from Jill FCS. I just adore Jill and have "known" her from my days on Flickr when that was my only means of communicating with other cookie artists. She is a truly good person and I would be so thrilled to be able to sit down and have coffee and cookies with her!
The cookie photo I attached is a set done for our very own Karen from Trilogy Edibles. Talk about nerve-wracking.....it's HARD making cookies for other cookie artists! Especially ones who are great at it, like Karen! :)
Oh Angela, Oh Sugar! Another fan favourite and I was totally not surprised when Angela got several nominations to be apart of today’s event! What I love about Angela, other than her willingness to answer any question asked, is her ability to create her events. Her dessert tables are extra-ordinary. She also doesn’t panic when things don’t turn out. Just ask her about the time the cake she wanted to make fell apart and used a store bought one. Best story ever! Welcome Angela.
1. When did you start baking? I started doing sugar cookies in Feb of 2010
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I started a fan page for FB May of 2010 when Lilaloa told me SugarBelle would be featuring my Cinco de Mayo cookies and that I really needed an official page. I've been blogging about adventures in sugar cookies since January of 2011.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I thought it was short and sweet and a little sassy and kind of hinted at the subject of my business.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? Ice cream is pretty fabulous. Chocolate lava cake.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? I am completely OBSESSED with Sweet Ambs these days. She blows me away with her elegant cookies and all the innovative techniques she comes up with.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? I think I had heard of it but wasn't really aware that it was a real thing.
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? I've been really lucky to meet a ton of my idols already, so one at the top of my bucket list is Amber Spiegel of Sweet Ambs.
I met Laurie at CookieCon but I first remember the first time I saw her cookies was for an auction Christina from Sweet C’s Bake Shop was raising money for a friend. Her amazing cookies raised a crazy amount of money. Laurie has a distinct style and her tree cookies are fabulous. One thing I hate about her is that she’s my age but looks 20. Seriously, if you see a picture of her with her daughter and they look like sisters. Her son just graduated from highschool, it’s sooooo not fair. I jest, I love her. She’s always so supportive and her cookies are always so fun. Say how do you do to Laurie.
1. When did you start baking? Unlike most everyone else out there, I did not grow up baking in the kitchen with my mom. My mom was not a baker, therefore I was not a baker! But in the Nov of 2011 after taking two beginner cake classes, I was searching online for something adorable to add to the top of a cupcake/cake and stumbled upon the magical world of Sweetopia and her royal icing transfer daisy cookie. (Sigh. I still love it.) And the fact that she put it on a COOKIE? Well, that seemed way easier to bake, handle, transport, etc, without all the awful pressure that comes with doing cakes. Unfortunately I’d never made a sugar cookie in my life that wouldn’t break your teeth (you have no idea how many NO-FAIL recipes I failed at!) but after ONE try of Sweetopia’s recipe I nailed it. First try! I was so beyond excited and I’ve been completely hooked ever since! So I am NOT a baker … I am a cookie decorator – BIG difference!
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I don’t blog but my facebook page just turned a year old in March of 2013. I started it mainly to stop torturing my personal friends with cookie pictures and it turned into the most wonderful thing I could have ever imagined, opening doors to friendships, conversations, information and experiences I never dreamed it would lead me to!
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? Well as silly as it may seem to those who don’t “get” the cookie thing, every time I sit down to do cookies I feel happy. If I have a stressful week, I want to make cookies. If I have spare time, I want to make cookies. If I don’t have spare time, I want to make cookies!! And I’ve read you should find what truly makes you happy and then you’ll know your bliss. So … Cookie Bliss was an obvious choice for me. Decorating cookies is my bliss.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? Crème brulee. Every time. I have purposely NEVER made it or I know I’d eat my body weight in it. My deal with Karma is if I find myself in a restaurant with crème brulee on the menu, I get to order it. Period. No question.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? Wow. I’m not sure how to pick! You know how you can tell each of your kids that they are your favorite and mean it? Well, that’s how I feel about the blogs/bloggers. I don’t have as much time as I’d like to browse them all the time but I am always checking Glorious Treats, SugarBelle’s, Trilogy Edibles, CookieCrazie, Cristin’s Cookies, Oh! Sugar Events, Flour Box Bakery, The Baked Equation, Sweet Hope Cookies, Arty McGoo, The Bearfoot Baker and Lilaloa – that one is my comic relief! Cracks me up every time! And many, many more. The list is about as long as my arm …
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? Last year I heard of it for the first time when reading your 2012 NSCD series! I LOVE that there’s a day for it! Of course I think EVERY day should be National Sugar Cookie Day! ;)
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? That’s a tough one for me as I’ve made so many virtual cookie friendships in the last 18 months and I’d like to throw a big party at my house and invite all of them! I had the opportunity to meet so many of my cookie idols at CookieCon last year but a few ladies I follow who I didn’t get to meet there are Jill FCS, Georganne of Lilaloa and Cristin of Cristin’s Cookies. Those three are definitely at the top of my list. And Marian of Sweetopia … as she’s the reason I started down this road!
Meet Amber! If you haven’t seen her video tutorials on wet-on-wet techniques, cracked antiqued look or this amazing teddy bear; you need to come out into the light. I haven’t met Amber either but she’s definitely on my list! Super sweet with impeccable attention to detail, her cookies aren’t for the faint of heart. She makes it look so easy, I’m not convinced but I love that she’s willing to share all of her tips and tricks. Hello Amber!
1. When did you start baking? I’ve been baking my whole life, but I didn’t decide to make a career out of it until after I graduated from college.
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I started my first blog in 2009, but just launched my new website, sweetambs.com, in December 2012.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? The name SweetAmbs was inspired by the words Sweet Amber on a vintage print that I’ve had since I was little.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? I have a major sweet tooth and I love pretty much any dessert, but I’ll almost always pick creme brulee if it’s on option on the menu.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? It’s hard to choose a favorite because there are so many talented bakers and decorators. I always love seeing what’s new at Viva La Tarta (http://vivalatarta.blogspot.com/)
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? I had not!
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? I’ve gotten to know some cookiers through my blog and Facebook page and I’d love to be able to meet them in person.
Say Hi to Julie! Super simple cookie name but her cookies are anything but simple. Another cookier I’ve yet to meet but so want to. Seriously, look at these bugs. I heart them! Julie was another of the multi-nominated and with good reason. If you flip through her FB page photos you’ll see such a flair for the ultra cute and some a little more risqué . Say hi to Julie!
1. When did you start baking? I started baking a long long time ago! When I was just a teenager the people I worked with used to buy cakes from me all of the time. I didn't start doing decorated cookies until about 3 years ago.
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? I started my cookie page on FB in August of 2010
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? I choose Sugar because I just liked how simple it was.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? My favorite dessert is probably pie, but I don't really eat a lot of sweets.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? This is where this starts to get tough!! I LOVE LilaLoa! It is impossible to read her blog without a smile on your face, but I have also made a lot of "cookie friends" on FB and I look forward to checking out there pages every day. Christine at Sugar Cravings is just so talented and so so sweet, and Nicole at Salsa Sweets is also amazingly talented and always so energetic and upbeat. So please, don't make me pick just one :( There are just so so many incredible pages/blogs to choose from.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? Yes
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? This one is as bad as #5! EVERYONE!!
Up until a month ago I didn’t know Butterwinks! Then Jill FCS posted a pic and I’m pretty sure everyone knows about Mallory and her mom now. I was in awe! Mallory was my pick because I needed to know how long she’s been doing this and to my surprise, only a few years. When I emailed her about being nominated her response cracked me up. It was simple and in all caps, WHAT?????? I laughed out loud and responded with, “so I’ll take that as a yes you would like to take part”. I suspect we’ll see great things from this duo in the future. Mallory’s already been featured on Julia Usher’s Cookie Connection and I would bet that after today her “likes” will go up just a few . Say hi to Mallory and her mom!
1. When did you start baking? I wouldn't so much consider myself a baker as much as I would a decorator. I weaseled my way into a local grocery store bakery in 2009 and a few months later finally had them trust me on an adventure with some buttercream and a piping bag. Needless to say, I haven't put a bag down since (but traded the buttercream for royal icing!).
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? ButterWinks! was born the day I put in my notice at the aforementioned grocery store- July of 2011. Though, we didn't even THINK of pursuing decorated cookies as a niche until March of 2012. That's when we took a small hiatus, revamped our Facebook to be all about cookies, and really started to gain momentum!
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? The day I quit my job Florida passed the Cottage Food Laws. My mom and I looked at each other and knew what we had to do! Our minds were racing because we knew we were on the verge of something big. We cracked open all of her antique cook books looking through everything we wanted to tackle- looking for something to really stick out at us. We saw "Cherry Winks" and thought it was adorable. We thought, what's in every cookie?! Butter! And as we sat there and kept chanting "ButterWinks! Yeah! ButterWinks, that sounds cute!" trying to convince ourselves it was a good fit- we had no idea what really was in store.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? I am a SUCKER for some cheesecake! Mmmm... cheesecaaakee..
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? I'd have to say since starting to recently really explore the cookie community I always consider the two "big dogs" to be Jill FCS and Vicki with Sweet Tweets. I think the day I stumbled on their Facebook pages my jaw dropped and I almost threw in the towel, haha! I couldn't comprehend just how flawless their cookies are. Every day I am definitely striving to reach that level of perfection. Without a doubt I look up to them more than they could ever possibly imagine!
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? No, not at all! But I am honored and flabbergasted to be a part of it this year!
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? I don't think I could pick. There is a group of about 5-10 people/pages I always reference to and consider the "cookie elite." I think they had a super secret meetup earlier this year and my goal is to be invited to that party next time! ;)
Say hi to Mike! I kept Mike last because he is a rarity, because he’s a he. Yup, a male in a predominately female group of crazies. He’s also sooooooo nice! Although his cookies are pretty freakin awesome, his tutorials on making a light box, or creating the best backdrops are also fabulous. What also makes him awesome, he’s a geek like me . Say hi to Mike!
1. When did you start baking? Ever since I could remember, the baking aisle was always my favorite aisle in the grocery store. I would gawk at all the boxed choices of brownie and cake mix until my mom would nudge me it was time to go. When I was a kid, my family baked homemade birthday cakes for each other, which was always fun for me. I looked forward to the decorating part the most; especially applying those little candy decorations-- you know, the ones you had to peel off a sheet of paper. My interest for decorating treats never really went away.
It wasn’t until the fall of 2011 when I looked for a way to make small, personalized gifts to give to friends. That was when I attempted my first decorated cookie.
2. When did you start blogging/FB page? November 2011. At first, blogging was just a way to keep a record of what cookies I’ve made. Lately, I’ve tried to use the blog more to share different ideas and tutorials I come up with along the way.
3. Why did you choose your blog or Facebook Fan page name? “Semi Sweet” is a play off the type of chocolate. Typically, decorated cookies tend to be on the cute and pretty side. However, my cookie aesthetic leans more toward geeky and the unconventional-- sweets with a twist, you could say. “Semi Sweet,” in my opinion, describes my style perfectly.
4. What is your favorite dessert other than cookies? The Cheesecake Factory has this Ultimate Red Velvet Cheesecake that combines my two favorite desserts. It has alternating layers of red velvet cake and cheesecake, covered entirely with cream cheese frosting. It’s a slice of heaven that takes me two sittings to finish.
5. What is your favorite blog/FB page at the moment? There are SO many I visit on a regular basis. I learn so much from the new ideas shared on blogs like Sweet Sugarbelle, The Bearfoot Baker, SweetAmbs, Haniela’s, Glorious Treats, One Tough Cookie NYC, and Montreal Confections. I get so inspired from the creations posted on the Facebook pages of Sweet Tweets, Oh Sugar Events, Jill FCS, Arty McGoo, Cookievonster, Sugar Cravings, and Whisked Away Cookies.
6. Had you heard of National Sugar Cookie Day before today? I have! But only because of Trilogy Edibles’ awesome annual post of featured cookiers.
7. If you could meet any of cookier/baker, who would it be? Oh, man. I always get nervous and socially awkward when I meet new people, especially if that person is someone I admire. If I had to choose, I think it would be cool to meet Jennifer from Not Your Momma’s Cookie. I like Jennifer's quirky baking style and also share her love for pop culture. I imagine it would be fun dishing over Game of Thrones or True Blood while discussing neat dessert ideas inspired by those shows.
So there you have it, this year’s inductees into the Trilogy Edibles National Sugar Cookie Day extravaganza! I hope you enjoyed and I hope you learned a little more about our favourites! See you next year!