Now you would think that my girls get decorated cookies all the time. Yeah, no :( Most of the time the cookies I’m making are for someone else and so as much as they beg and beg and beg, they don’t get to have one.
I decided that back to school was a good enough reason to make some decorated cookies for my girls. It’s also Rowan’s first time taking a school bus. This kid couldn’t be any more excited.
So, I was very excited when my good friend Callye from The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle designed some school type cookie cutters for Karen’s Cookies. I had to have them and when the little box with the yellow tissue paper arrived I was super excited.
So I rolled out my dough, mixed up some colours and away I went! I totally used Callye’s designs :)
When I showed the girls their treats for today, I got some high pitched squeals! BEST COMPLIMENT EVER!!!
So where to find it all:
Callye’s cookie cutters can be found here: School Bus and Fat Pencil cutters
My sugar cookie recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking pans.
- Bake for 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
As for my icing, I use Bridget’s at Bake at 350. Find it here.
So enjoy a cookie every now and again. They don’t have to be fancy or detailed. Honestly just bake up some cookies, fill some icing bags with various colours and let your kids decorate their own way. It truly is a lot of fun!
Thanks for looking!